Skip to main content

Room by Emma Donoghue

 Room

Room by Emma Donoghue


 


Gripping thriller, a moving story of a mother’s bond with her young son and vice versa but also quite

 disturbing, as underlying the whole story is a tale of kidnapping and sexual abuse. As a mature adult

 reading this book I can process these issues and while I found parts of this book upsetting to read,

 I am able to deal  with that. With increasing concerns about mental health in our adolescents and young

 people, anxiety and depression, I feel this book is not appropriate for children perhaps as young

 as fifteen or sixteen to be studying at school. Do they need to read about the threat of Old Nick coming every

 night to abuse five year old Jack’s’ mother, as he lies hidden but listening, in the wardrobe of  their

 sound- proofed prison?!

I appreciate Room is a very successful, thought provoking book and movie, but I didn’t find it uplifting

 or encouraging but rather dispiriting and sad. I would like to think that while children are at school,

 teachers have an opportunity to enlighten, encourage and motivate them and I would prefer a choice

 of books with more positive themes to add positivity and joy to their lives.


Reviewed by Helen, Co. Louth


So..........the story is about a young woman who is kidnapped and raped over a 5-yr period, while her

son watches/listens through a crack in the wardrobe door......Hello????? HOW and WHY would this

contribute to my son's knowledge of how to treat a woman? Or his mental health? Or his idea of the

best way to score with a girl? Is he supposed to consider the merits of kidnapping and rape?

What message is this book going to give to the girls in his class??

(Tina M, bewildered parent Co. Kildare)